The Australian Boer War Memorial
Anzac Parade Canberra

Private Donald Hutton

Ancestor Details

Ancestor's Name: Donald Ferguson Hutton

Ancestor's date of birth: 04/11/1876

Ancestor's date of death: 06/09/1939

Cause of Death: Age related

Service and Life Before the Boer War: Donald was bornat 23 Cobblecrooke place, Alva, Clackmannan Scotland. He enlisted in C Company 1st Battalion Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders 17 November 1899 and sailed as a reinforcement for the 1st battalion to South Africa

Service Number: 6436

Colony or State of enlistment: Not Australia Place of Enlistment: Scotland

Unit: C company 1st Bn Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders (Later in the Bn MI coy 2nd MI Bn)

Rank attained in Boer War: PTE, Date Effective: 17/11/1899

Highest Rank attained (if served after war): No evidence of post Boer War promotion.

Murray Page: Not applicable, did not serve in an Australian unit.

Contingent: Not applicable.

Ship: Orcana, Date of Sailing: 27/10/1899

Memorial details: Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders Museum, Stirling Castle, Stirling, Scotland

Awards/Decorations/Commendations: Queen's South Africa Medal with Modder River, Paadeburg, Transvaal clasps. King's South Africa Medal with South Africa 1901 and South Africa 1902.

Personal Characteristics: detail not provided

Reasons to go and fight: He was a professional soldier

Details of service in war: He served with the 1st battalion and at some point in 1900 was assigned to the battalion's mounted infantry company which would become part of the 2nd Mounted Infantry battalion. Initially close to the parent battalion the MI eventually were operating of hundreds of kilometres apart.

The 1st Battalion sailed on the Orcana about 27 October 1899, and arrived at the Cape about 18 November. Along with the 2nd Black Watch, 1st Highland Light Infantry, and 2nd Seaforths, they formed the 3rd or Highland Brigade under Major General Wauchope, and after his death, under Brigadier General Macdonald.

When Lord Methuen started on his way to Kimberley he took with him the Guards Brigade and the 9th Brigade, made up of troops then in South Africa. At Belmont and Enslin or Graspan these brigades had stiff work; he accordingly called up the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders when he was moving from Graspan, and they were with him on the day of Modder River, 28th November. The battalion was placed under the commander of the 9th Brigade, Major General Pole-Carew. A short account of the work of that brigade, including an excerpt from the despatch as to Modder River, is given under the 1st Northumberland Fusiliers. At 06:30 the battalion was in reserve, but before 07:30 they were in the firing line. They extended on both sides of the railway, and those on the right of it, having little cover, suffered very severely. It will be remembered that notwithstanding every effort the Guards Brigade on the right of Lord Methuen's line could not effect a crossing of the river. Lord Methuen then directed his attention to the left and left centre. In the afternoon Colonel Barter with two companies of his men, the Yorkshire Light Infantry, assisted by men of the other regiments, carried a house and some rising ground which the Boers held on the near or left side of the river. Lieutenant Thorpe of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, acting directly under the orders of General Pole-Carew, boldly took his company into, and across, the river. The battalions in the firing line were mixed, and some of the Yorkshire Light Infantry and the Northumberlands accompanied Lieutenant Thorpe. The Boers still offered fierce opposition, but a battery galloping up helped to keep down the enemy's fire; it is said, however, to have unwittingly put some shells among our own people. Soon more men got over, and General Pole-Carew was then able to advance up the north bank with some 400 men.

The losses of the battalion at Modder River were nearly double those of any other battalion engaged, being about 20 men killed, 2 officers and 93 men wounded, yet, strange enough, Lord Methuen gave the battalion no mentions. Several unofficial accounts of the battle, including those of Mr Julian Ralph, who was present, gave special praise to the conduct of the battalion.

At Magersfontein the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders were the third battalion in the advance to the kopjes. General Wauchope had intended that they should deploy to the left of the Black Watch, but immediately before fire broke out he ordered them to deploy to the right of the two leading battalions. One company was in the act of doing this when the Boers started firing. The front companies merged in the firing line of the Black Watch and Seaforths, and the rear companies remained all day about the right rear of the Black Watch. A portion of a company on the right under Sergeant Hynch succeeded in wiping out, either killing or capturing, a party of about 40, chiefly Scandinavians, who had been pushed forward by the Boers. Lieutenant Neilson with some men of the battalion was able to help Sergeant Hynch. These names are mentioned because the credit for this affair has in some quarters been given to another regiment. Although not suffering so seriously in the first outburst as the Black Watch and Seaforths, the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders were fully exposed all day to the terrible fire from the Boer trenches. Their casualties were about 26, killed and 67 wounded. Colonel Goff was killed and Major Robinson mortally wounded. None of the critics seem to have had any shafts to level at the battalion for its work or conduct on that memorable day. One officer and 3 men were mentioned in Lord Methuen's despatch of 15 February 1900.

At Paardeberg the battalion was on the right of the brigade and merged into the men of the Vlth Division. Again it was, as regards casualties, rather more lucky than the sister regiments. Its losses, however, were heavy enough: 13 non-commissioned officers and men with the battalion were killed, and 7 officers and 78 men wounded. Colonel Hannay, who had commanded the battalion until June 1899, and who was in command of a force of Mounted Infantry, was killed, and Lieutenant Courtenay of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Mounted Infantry company was also killed

It is very difficult to give an account of the very valuable work done by the Mounted Infantry. The following sketch of the work of a section -1 officer and 34 non-commissioned officers and men- of the Argyll and Sutherland Regiment has been furnished by Lieutenant K M Laird of that regiment, and it is printed here as an excellent example of the work of the Mounted Infantry generally. The section was part of the 2nd Battalion Mounted Infantry, which was composed of four companies, each company containing four sections from four different regiments. Sixteen regiments were thus represented. Two machine-gun detachments, with two maxims each, were attached. The 2nd Battalion mobilised at Aldershot on 8th October 1899, and one-half sailed on the Orient on 22nd October. On arrival at the Cape, 13th November, the battalion proceeded by train to De Aar, and were soon sent over to Naauwpoort and Arundel. In that district there was constant work, one of the most striking bits being the seizure of M'Kracken's hill by part of the Mounted Infantry and four companies of the Berkshire Regiment. On 6th February the battalion left for Modder River to take part in Lord Roberts' advance. The Argyll and Sutherland section was present in the fighting at Klip Drift, Paardeberg, where Lieutenant Courtenay commanding the section was killed, at Poplar Grove, Driefontein, the occupation of Bloemfontein. Then was with Ian Hamilton at Houtnek, Zand River, Doornkop, Diamond Hill. Under Sir A Hunter at Wittebergen (the surrounding of Prinsloo), the pursuit of De Wet. With Lord Kitchener at the relief of Hore and his gallant Australians at Elands River. Put into Clements' column operating in the Megaliesberg; present at Nooitgedacht 13th December, where Lieutenant Reid commanding the section was killed. Lieutenant Laird got the section, and they were shortly put under Sir Henry Rawlinson, and with him operated in the Western Transvaal, the Orange River Colony, and then in the Eastern Transvaal as part of Bruce Hamilton's force. Marched back to the Orange River Colony and took part in many drives in the Harrismith-Lindley-Heilbron triangle. After Lord Methuen had met with his disaster marched to the Western Transvaal to finish with the driving work there.

Service and life after the Boer War: He emigrated with his family to Australia following his regular service and lived at Peakhurst near Sydney.

Descendant Details

Name of Descendant: Margaret Anne Miller, Panania NSW
Relationship to Ancestor: grand daughter


© Royal Australian Armoured Corps Association NSW, ABN 49709547198
Site Sponsored by Cibaweb, PO Box 7287, PENRITH SOUTH NSW 2750, AUSTRALIA
Click to contact
website designed and maintained by cibaweb Site Disclaimer

go to top of page
RUSI of NSW Boer War Battlefields